Well...

I need a second job.

Huge sigh.

The last surgery related bill came in for Mark yesterday and this one alone was $20,000. We're waiting on his financial aid app to be processed, but it will only give him about a 50% reduction I think. So we're screwed. No matter what, rent comes first, food comes second. Bills come last. I know he's not my husband, I know we're just two kids in love who are shacked up. But still. Like I'm not going to feel the effects of these bills? Like I'm not going to notice that we're eating Mac n Cheese every night? Or not ever going out on a date? Or that we have no money for extra things? It's going to suck. My opinion (not Mark's, I haven't told him this, so he doesn't know my stance really) is that if I want a future with this guy, we just have to take care of it no matter what it takes. End of story. Christ, I don't want it to take 12 years before he could afford an engagement ring if that's where this is going, you know?

So my second job. I'm going to craft. Uh-huh. Seriously. I'm going to open up an Etsy shop and I'm going to put every little thing up for sale that I have. Then I'm going to set aside 20 hours per week towards salables. I have a few altered art things I've made, collaged boxes and the like. I make handmade journals and have all the supplies. I've got a huge bag of crochet for sale. All simple stuff that I would sell for cheap prices, because they were all practice and though they're not heinous, they're super simple. So I'm going to photograph all that stuff this weekend and get it up there.

There is also this thing called "Derry fest" that happens at the end of every summer in my hometown. It's a little street-fair crafty kinda thing. I'm going to sign up for that and rent a spot. It's like $35. Real cheap. No one ever sells knitting or crochet there, so I think I'll bust out tons of dishcloths, headbands, purses, that kind of stuff. And I'll have my leftover wintery stuff too. Hopefully I can make a few hundred dollars.

My goal is a small one. I want to earn $100 per month. I could go out and get a second job and make that in a week without much effort but I don't want to. I want to do something I enjoy. This money each month is enough extra to make a decent dent in some smaller bills I'd like to pay off. I hope I can do it. I doubt it, though. Selling crafts is so hard. But at least I have everything I need in order to make a lot of stuff without spending $$.

I just need to find a way to work on the $30,000 worth of medical bills sitting on my kitchen table. It's depressing.

4 comments:

Alexis said...
Monday, 07 May, 2007

Good luck with the Etsy shop! :) Please post a link when it's up--I'd love to see what you've made, and maybe I will be able to buy something. I totally understand medical woes, as I've had (and am still having) quite a few of 'em. And you and I are the same age. :-/ (Too young for this crap!!)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you're selling!

Sheila said...
Tuesday, 08 May, 2007

That sounds like a good plan... selling thru the Etsy shop... definitely post the link and I would love to check it out. Thanks for posting on my blog.

vicki said...
Thursday, 10 May, 2007

i am sorry your going thru such a hard time with your bf and his surgery, i was wondering does not your state have financial assitance for people who have no money and need care? in washington state where i am most hospitals have money set aside that patrons donate and of course they then can take it off their taxes. is something maybe to look into. i will watch for your etsy shop. i found your name on jobugs site lol

Anti said...
Thursday, 10 May, 2007

I was thinking about starting a Etsy shop myself. You'll have to get it set up, and post a link for us.

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.