Crochet Books

Got a few things from Amazon over the last few weeks. I had pre-ordered quite a few books, and they're finally being released. Aside from the new Crochet Me book, I think everything has arrived.

I really, really love this book. I didn't think I would because I hate the shawl on the cover. However, there are probably 10 or 12 different patterns in here that I'd be willing to make and actually wear. I'm a fan of any type of lace or openwork pattern, so this is right up my alley. I'm a bit concerend that the patterns are beyond my skill level, however I think my skill has plateauded because I've stopped challenging myself. It's time that I push myself more. This is definitely a keeper.

This book is kind of a let down, though not because I dislike the patterns. I actually found quite a few items in here that I really like and would be willing to make. I think what bothers me is that the title is misleading. I don't find much in this book that I could complete in a weekend. I was really looking forward to cute projects that were quick. Not really what I found though. I'm not unhappy with what I did find, so there's enough for me to work with that I'm pleased with the book otherwise.

Actually Everyday Crochet hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know what I think of this one when it gets here. Probably this afternoon or tomorrow.


I forget which blogger said this would be a beginner's dream book, but she was certainly correct. Someone who is just starting out in crochet (and someone who is young or enjoys young looking designs) would really enjoy this book a great deal. I found it to be a mixed bag. I liked half of what the book had to offer, but the other half made me gag. Some of the items were just plain ridiculous looking. But again, there seemed to be enough projects in there that I liked to make the book worthwhile.


What I'm very pleased with overall is that all of the books I purchased contain patterns I want to make for myself as well as patterns I want to make for other people. I think after the Christmas rush is over I'm going to spend time working on stuff for me, since I so rarely crochet for myself. Most of what I make is to pass the time, use up stash, or for gifts. I'd like to actually find a pattern, buy the yarn, make it for myself, and then wear it. Here's to hoping I can change how I do things enough for it to work out that way.

2 comments:

WilBlg4Yrn said...
Monday, 24 September, 2007

Thank yo so much...
I have been wondering about those crochet books.
It's hard to bounce between my two lovers - knit and crochet-


Thanks!!!

Deneen said...
Monday, 24 September, 2007

I just got the Everyday Crochet book and saw several patterns I plan to make (really).

I ordered Positively Crochet through Interlibrary Loan to check it out-so thanks for the review.

The Amazing Crochet Lace book I like, have several earmarked patterns, did the Shoop-Shoop-have to figure out that damn sc and dc foundation chain though.

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.