Everyday Crochet


I know every book is personal. I loved the books I bought prior (and by request I'll post more thorough reviews when the books are right in front of me), but many may not. The same is true for this one. I love it. Many may not but I freaking love it. It arrived a few hours ago.

I can't go pattern by pattern and discuss them because I'm at work and I just can't flip through a book that slowly today. My boss may not appreciate that very much.

What I can tell you is this. You're not going to find a lot of full-on sweaters in here. There are a few, but this style is not the majority. Most of what is offered seems to be cardigan type sweaters and car coats and vests. Open fronts with long, 3/4 length or short sleeves. Also they tend to close with a single button or closure, or a tie. They're cute though. Really, really cute and shaped, not just boxy cardigans that hang on you. There are a few fitted longer sleeved tops like I said, but not as many as there are cardigan type tops. There are also a few tanks in there that are just really lovely and feminine.

She has a chapter at the end with a few belts. Why??? I don't know. I don't like them. There are only a few though. It seems odd to me. One for certain goes with a long sweater, but the others just seem hideous. But that's preference, as I don't like the crocheted belts at all.

In terms of variety, it seems lacking. I say this for one main reason. A lot of the patterns seem to be a shell stitch of some sort. Actually, most of the book seems to be in some sort of shell stitch. I didn't read the patterns, I just looked at the photos, but upon glancing through the book it all seems to be shells and more shells. Now, I love that look so it's great for me. If you don't like that look, maybe pass on the book.

Am I glad I bought it? Yep, sure am. I love the style of the clothing. I love shells and scalloped edges. I would say that the majority of the patterns in the book are of items I myself would love to wear. Whether I'll make them is a different story. But I sure do think they're something purdy.


PS--is blogger being annoying for anyone or is it just me?

3 comments:

Deneen said...
Tuesday, 25 September, 2007

I like the tanks-camis and the shorter sweaters, however wouldn't personally make the jackets/coats for myself. There is such a lack of boleros/cardis/tanks/camis in crochet out there, this is a terrific book for that.

The belt part perplexed me too-but I think it's because most of the other patterns are intermediate and they needed some beginner patterns to add.

Most of the items are timeless and won't go out off style next year (most of em anyway)-which is so nice in a pattern book.

Blogger has been fine for me today, so far, but I am sure I jinxed myself now.

Andy's Crafts said...
Thursday, 27 September, 2007

I guess you di d not like that book at all. From your description I feel that there was a lack of creative spirit in it. I find most of the crochet books, magazines have almost nothing for men. That's why I create my own stuff.

Alexis said...
Friday, 28 September, 2007

I can't wait to get that book. :) Chan is my favorite designer.

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.