Going to the Dark Side...

For Christmas, my brother and sister in law bought me this DVD:

It has remained untouched for the past 9 months. I finally pulled it out last Thursday and climbed into bed and watched the first 45 minutes or so of it. I didn't practice knitting while I was watching it (I was too tired), but I found that the instructions were insanely easy. Knitting has never looked so simple to me. I decided that after I finished making the blanket for the wedding that is in less than 2 weeks (kill me now) I would pick up the needles.

In the meantime, I purchased these books based on the reviews on Amazon.com.



My entire desire to learn to knit stemmed from a love and appreciation of knitted socks. I'd love to make socks. I started (three times) on crocheted socks but I just don't like them one bit. However, as I've been exposed to blogs on the subject, especially Bron's Blog, I've fallen in love with knitted sweaters. There's something special and different about knitted clothing compared to crochet clothing.

So, I'm doomed. I went to Joann's online store and bought myself a set of Clover bamboo needles. I think they range from size 8s to 15s? I plan to make swatches and scarves until I've picked up the craft enough, and then I really need to invest in some circular needles to make a few beginner patterns I've fallen in love with, and then some dpns to start working on socks. I think I'd like to make a few hats on 4 dpns before I start on the socks. I'm somewhat intimidated by size 1 dpns. They look like long toothpicks.

I'm trying really hard not to get ahead of myself. I feel like I should invest in every size single pointed needle, every size circular and every size dpn. I will refrain though. For now, I've got my beginner set (should arrive today or tomorrow), and I'll just invest in the needles as I need them for the projects I choose. Sigh. Another obsession. Just what I need.

I do have to admit, I won't really do much except dick around between now and Christmas. I don't plan to get into any projects. I think I will just swatch in my spare time. I've got too many crocheted gifts to worry about making to even start learning to knit until January.

2 comments:

Holly said...
Monday, 24 September, 2007

Noooooo! Not knitting! I'm going to be the last non-knitter on Earth!! Oh the horror, the shame... *sniffle*

Deneen said...
Monday, 24 September, 2007

I have a DVD, CD for knitting, about 8 books, full sets of needles I bought off of ebay and still haven't crossed over. I have stuff I want to get done for Christmas-crochet wise. Damn, the wheel has sat for almost a year now too.

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.