Thank You for Not Smoking Part III

It's been 10 days now since I started the process of quitting. It has not been easy, but I am happy to report that as of yesterday, Day 9, it became much easier. Not sure what happened at that point, but it just seemed easier all of a sudden.

Here's how things are going:

Times when I want to smoke *badly*:
Hanging out with Sara (she smokes)
Driving home from work
Drinking my morning coffee on the weekend

The rest of the time I feel fine. I don't feel the urge when I drive to work or drive around town, I don't feel the urge after a meal. I don't really think about it at work. Hooray!

Have I cheated? Yes. How much? 3/4 of a cigarette with Sara. It tasted bad. I had been craving it for about 2 or 3 hours while we were shopping. It was not at all satisfying. And for the rest of the weekend I didn't have any urges at all. In fact, it reaffirmed in my mind that I didn't want to be a smoker. Double hooray.

Oh, I also did buy a pack last Thursday night. I lit one, took a drag or two and threw it out the car window along with my full pack (I know, I littered, but I was frantic and wanting them out of the car right that second). I feel like I was weak initially, but as soon as I started to smoke I thought, nope, this is not what I want.

All in all, success so far. I know for those of you who are non-smokers, cheating a bit may seem like a horrible, weak thing to do. For you smokers who have tried to quit though--I bet you understand how tempting and easy it is to sneak one here and there.

Ultimately, I want to be a non-smoker. And I'm going to be one. I may have some bumps along the way, but I feel confident that I will be a non-smoker someday. For the first 6 months you're still considered actively trying to quit. But come March 1st I will officially be a nonsmoker. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Andy's Crafts said...
Monday, 10 September, 2007

Keep up and have faith, you will conquer this, it is not easy, but you will. Save the money everytime you want to buy a pack, lol, you will have a nice Christmas fund!

Deb said...
Monday, 10 September, 2007

Heck, I cheated more than a year after I quit. I smoked four or five out of the pack, and it just affirmed that it just wasn't going to work out between us. :)

It sounds like you're doing great. Congrats on quitting!

Deneen said...
Monday, 10 September, 2007

Keep it up-my weak times are in the AM-I need a few to keep me going and I am good all day (never even leave work to smoke or anything), but then I need one at night. I have cut way back, just can't kick the AM habit.

BTW, when I quit (each time), I went back because I cheated-the mistake was the first cigarette gave me the "headrush" feeling-the second one tasted like shit, yet I continued-stupid.

I'm very proud of you-you can be my inspiration in November.

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.