Back from Vacation, WIPs and Some Photo-less FOs

It's been so long since I've posted.

So. Thurs, Oct 4th we headed from southern NH to northern Maine (about 6 hours north, or 300 miles). The weather was gorgeous, nice and crisp and autumn-like. I could not have asked for better weather the entire weekend.

The purpose of our trip was to see these two crazy kids get married (Mark's older brother Erik and his bride, Teresa) on Saturday, October 6, 2007. The ceremony was absolutely lovely.

At the reception I met all the young cousins, by virtue of being seated with them. Mark was at the head table with the bridal party, and I was left to fend for myself with the young ladies. I know I don't look much older than these girls (I'm the one in red, by the way), but believe me 5 years makes a difference when you're in your mid to late twenties. They were sweet though. I wish I had a photo of the dress and the black shawl together, but alas I do not. The red wine was plentiful that night, and important photo taking of important hand crocheted items fell by the wayside.

Look at how nicely Mark cleans up. He looks old to me here. Older than usual I guess.

This is what we had the pleasure of looking at for 6 days. This is the view practically from the motel. I'd say this is about 50 to 75 yards from our motel door. It was breathtaking.

Funny story. We arrived on the island around 2 pm on Thursday. We were maybe 10 minutes from the motel and we were both ready to be out of the car, and ready to visit with Mark's relatives. A sign caught my eye, literally about 10 feet in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and made a hard right turn (thankfully no one was behind me). It was instinct. I saw "yarn" out of the corner of my eye and had to stop. Afterall, I don't have a LYS, unless you consider "local" about 45 minutes away. And I had saved up a chunk of money specifically for this occassion. Mark was so irritated that I found a yarn shop, while simultaneously shocked that I saw the sign, processed what it was, and turned into the parkinglot in the matter of about an eigth of a second. What can I say? My fiber radar was going crazy.

Anyhow, I got myself a small (expensive) bag of goodies) that included 6 skeins of Noro in color 150, and 5 skeins of Silky Wool by Elsebeth Lavold. I gave one skein away to our cat babysitter as a thank you gift, and kept 4 for myself (2 brick, 2 green--they look great together, which unfortunately you cannot discern in the photos).

Here's the silky wool. I think each skein is 175 meters. It feels like a sport weight, maybe a light DK. I wish I could tell you for certain but it just doesn't say on the label. I also wish you could feel it. It's soft as hell. I have 2 scarves in mind for these.

And the Noro. Yarn orgasm. I'm making a tote bag that I will eventually felt. The colors are just gorgeous, very muted. They're not bright like some of the Noro colors are, they're very subtle. I love the colors. I think I've gone through 2 skeins so far. I think I'll probably only use 5, and reserve the last skein for a hat. The tote bag will likely become my project bag once it's finished. I'm not working on this steadily, it will take me forever to complete it, as I'm in full Christmas gift mode right now.



The remaining 200 photos from the wedding weekend are available here. Do take a peek. If you've never been to the Bar Harbor area in Maine, you'll be amazed at the beauty.

We've actually been home now for a week. I came back to work on Wednesday and was swamped all week, and too busy to update here. Then Friday morning I woke up, sicker than I've been in years. Probably the worst cold I've had in maybe 3 or 4 years. It was pretty miserable. I made it through 7 hours at work before I gave up and left. And though I had many, many plans this weekend, I managed to only get as far as my living room, where I parked my ass under blankets and basically gave up my will to live. Okay, maybe not that dramatically but I was definitely sick.

One good thing about being housebound and bed/couch bound is that it left me with a lot of time to crochet. I managed to make a scarf for Mark's Aunt Judy, and my best friend Sara's christmas gift. A while back I purchased some hand spun wool on ebay for really cheap. I used 2 strands held together and a J hook (it was sport weight wool) and crocheted a tote bag. She uses a plastic bag to transport her projects, so I figured I'd make her a nice project tote. The bag is huge and simple. I sewed the strap on without doing much testing--I was sick and didn't feel like standing up to see how long it was. I kind of just eyeballed it. Well, the damn strap is so long, and I just don't like it. It's not her style to have a long, huge bag like that. So I'm going to remove the strap and shorten it, and then I'll reattach it and felt the bag. I managed to have two 200 yard yarn cakes leftover, so I'll stick those in the bag. It's purple, her favorite color, so hopefully she'll really like it. I also started on a third project--a scarf for the bride shown above-- in black and white. It's just about done. I'll post photos once I get around to taking them, and also take another pic of the Noro bag. Who makes a $53.70 tote bag anyway? Sigh. I can't help it. I love the yarn.

Oh and PS--Mark's family all decided that he should propose to me. I guess they liked me. :)


Oh, PPS--There were 8 yarn shops within a 10 mile radius of the motel. Can you beleive? Eight fricken yarn stores? Holy crap. I was smart and only went into one. I dropped $85, and that was in one store. Can you imagine eight? All competing and probably all carrying different yarny goodness?

3 comments:

Linda said...
Tuesday, 16 October, 2007

I'm seeing a lot of that Noro yarn lately. I really must have some of it. I've never heard of silky wool. I bet it will make gorgeous scarves.

Deneen said...
Tuesday, 16 October, 2007

You look younger then the young cousins-and yes, I knew which one was you immediately.

I would die with 8 shops so close by-makes me wonder how they all make a living.

Wendy said...
Friday, 19 October, 2007

You look so cute (and young!) 8 yarn shops? Holy cow, I, like Deneen am surprised they can all exist like that. I wonder if they are all owned by the same owner, just spreading out.

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.