Are We There Yet??

What is it about this month that's just sucking the life out of me?

I'm still in a bit of a crafting slump and not working on big projects that I want desperately to be working on (an alpaca shrug I'm designing, a wool rug, a cotton bath mat, another ghan). I can't commit to anything right now except small little clutches and bags. My friend Sara and I have made 8 small Paton's SWS bags that are suitable for make up or what have you, and I need to get them felted, photographed and put on etsy for sale. They're damn cute. I have a newfound obsession with SWS.

Speaking of yarn...Has anyone tried the new Debbie Mum Traditions yarn from Joann? I'm curious about it and almost tempted to buy 1 skein and see what the big deal is. It looks like it's similar to a Lion Wool-Ease in terms of fiber content (It's mostly acrylic with about 25% or so wool), but reviews I've read consider it to be a cheap alternative to a Noro-type yarn in terms of how it looks once it's worked into something. It sounds like a PITA to work with and the cons seem to outweigh the pros. I'm curious about the striping though, and how it looks once it's worked into a project. I should check Ravelry.

I came down with the flu 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm still not quite right. It started on a Tuesday morning where I had a tickle in my throat and I felt run down. Same thing Tues, Wed, Thur. Come Thursday night I had a fever and body aches and the worst cold symptoms imaginable. The fever lasted 8 days. It was pretty awful. I still have cold symptoms but haven't felt sick in about 5 or 6 days. Just feeling really run down and tired. I've now had the flu twice in 6 years. I think it might time to start getting an annual flu shot.

Stomach issues have not resolved themselves but I'm doing a lot better now than I have been since October. It took me until December or so to figure out exactly what I could and couldn't eat, and now so long as I stick to a strict diet I'm doing alright. I've found some fats that are okay (healthier fats) vs. the ones that cause serious discomfort. Now that I'm eating alright and not having excrutiating pain all the time I'm able to better pinpoint where the pain is and what triggers it. Before I just felt bad all the time. Now I can see that I have a chronic sort of indigestion feeling, that is worsened to the point of needing an ER and pain meds if I eat fattening foods. So I'm eating very healthy now, nothing pre-packaged, no red meat, reduced caffeine, tons of fruits and veggies and lean chicken breast. It takes me much longer to cook dinner and it's a bit more expensive, but I'm starting to love always cooking with fresh vegetables and ingredients. I haven't found a single low-fat or fat free food that bothers me either, except for sczechuan sauce and chili powder, which I could tolerate before this whole thing started. So it's 99.9% a fat thing. I see the new GI the first week in March and I'm hoping he has some ideas for me. I hope that he'll repeat the HIDA scan and see if there is a difference/drop in my gallbladder function since October (by the time I see him it will have been 5 months since the first scan). I'm still hoping it's gallbladder and not some weird non-ulcer dyspepsia or chronic gastritis that has no cure. I don't mind my diet when I'm home, but it makes it very hard to have a meal at a restaurant or a family member's house. It also makes it hard to snack, because packaged snacks in general are not healthy. When I have a craving for something like that I'll eat rice cakes or pretzels, but there are those days where I'd give anything for a piece of chocolate, or a muffin or pastry or something delicious and nasty. Oh well. Hopefully someday again. Otherwise my wedding is going to suck if I have to bring my own meal and forgo the cake!

Speaking of the wedding...it's definitely going to be fall of 2009. It will be low-key and very intimate and cozy. The site we're interested in (and will visit in the spring) is a vineyard with a rustic post and beam barn. It's a very simple site and they provide the food, location, alcohol and waitstaff. Pretty much nothing else. For table centerpieces and the like I'm planning to stick to the autumn theme and use carved pumpkins, gords, lots of candles, etc. Instead of numbering each table so guests can find where they're sitting we're thinking of assigning a color to each table, using dark autum colors. So, the guest that are at, say, the orange table may find pumpkins and orange flowers and orange candies and orange vases and an orange table runner on their table. The blue table may have a bowl of fresh blueberries, some dark potted blue african violets, a bunch of blue pillar candles on an antique tray, etc. I think it will be lovely. I stole the idea partly from Martha Stewart. I plan to start hitting flea markets, yard sales and thrift stores to find unique, old glass flower vases and other items to serve as decorations. I want it to be very unique and stylish, and hopefully that will work out. If there are, say, 10 tables that utilize 10 autum colors or shades, I hope to tie in each of those colors into my bouquet, and then each of those colors into the cupcakes. I think it will work out wonderfully. I love the idea of lots of candle light and tons and tons of bright, vibrant fall colors eclectically utilized in the space. The wedding itself will be very intimate, no bridal party or anything like that, and somewhat non-traditional because it works best for us. Why not make the reception site extremely non-traditional and eclectic and bohemian? I can't wait to start buying fabrics for table runners and hunting for the perfect table accessories to serve as decorations. I live for this kind of thing.

Hope you're all having a great day. Pictures of FOs this weekend perhaps.

3 comments:

Linda said...
Wednesday, 23 January, 2008

It's good that you have your symptoms under control. I don't know how much longer you could have lived like that.
Your wedding ideas sound great. Traditional can be so boring. Yours will be an event to remember.

Andy's Crafts said...
Thursday, 24 January, 2008

Congratulations on taking control over your health and figuring it out. I am the same way. I learn that even though it may cost more, you can actually eat less if it is fresh. Watch for sales on fruits and vegies! Always wishing you the best.

Zuleika said...
Saturday, 26 January, 2008

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling a bit better now. Maybe your body just wants a break from fatty foods and is making you eat healthy. In some ways I wish my body would do that, I eat way too much junk! :-)

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.