Good News

I never thought this would qualify as good news, but....

I'm sick!

And I couldn't be happier. The new doc was pretty fantastic. He said there is no way that stress would cause me to lose all this weight and have the pain I'm having. I know it might sound stupid, but I really did need that validation after what the last doctor told me.

He's leaning toward gallbladder. Doesn't trust the previous HIDA scan results since I was given 2 different results. So, Monday morning the hospital will call to reschedule that test. If it shows any decrease in function he's sending me to a surgeon immediately.

Since I still have burning discomfort on all these acid-blockers we're phasing them out and replacing them with Carafate, which should coat my stomach to reduce any discomfort. He says that the dose of Protonix I'm on now would mean that my stomach is producing no acid whatsoever, so that acid-type-burning I get is not actually caused by acid. Chronic indigestion is common with gallbladder issues though.

If the gallbladder test comes back negative and it's functioning well, he's got a whole bunch of other tests in mind.

Also, if it turns out to be my gallbladder he did warn that there may be a secondary issue, that gb removal may not equal a cure. We just don't know, and wouldn't know until after I've healed from surgery. But he said that if my gallbladder isn't functioning well enough, it will at least be a large piece of the puzzle we've figured out.

He's very alarmed at my weight loss and wants to run tests ASAP and get me some relief quickly so I can start eating more fats. If it's gallbladder, he wants me to have surgery sooner than later so that I can put some weight back on after healing.

All in all, a good appointment. I don't mind one bit that he said "I don't know" and talked about various things that could be causing my issues. I don't care that he needs to run many more tests to figure this out. The only thing that matters to me is that he believes that I'm truly sick, believes it's a serious condition, and is willing to do everything he can to try to figure out how to help me get better. That's all I've needed all along...a smart, caring doctor in my corner.

2 comments:

Holly said...
Sunday, 09 March, 2008

As dumb as this sounds, I too am happy to hear that you're sick! You may not have the exact diagnosis yet, but it's good to know that this competent doc will get you one quickly, along with an effective course of action.
In the interim, I hope you're feeling well! :)

Lizze said...
Monday, 10 March, 2008

YAY!!!! *does happy dance* April's sick! April's sick! I'll pray that you'll fail your test with flying colors and surgery will make it all better!!!!

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.