The Tori Hat

This hat is named for my niece, Tori, because it is her design 100%. She's a freshman in high school and recently asked me to make her a hat for Christmas. She had quite a few things that she was particular about (style, colors, striping, the pom-pom, hat thickness, etc). This is what I came up with:


The pom-pom is quite inventive, I think. She wanted it to hang so it flopped around when she moved her head.
Tha hat uses a variety of acrylic yarns (RH Soft and the purple is Bernat Satin I believe). The red, teal and oatmeal are Paton's wool. It's a great scrap project. I chose to make one color dominant because the striping in the earflaps would just be a pain. There are 10 colors altogether. The top starts off with 3 rounds of purple, and then every 4th stripe is purple. The earfaps are then all purple as well. I doubled the yarn together for thickness and used a 9 mm hook. I started off using 8 but it was too stiff, and I wanted it to be very soft and smooshy. I may just have to write up a pattern for this. I think it's adorable!
I still have gads of yarn left in these colors and am tempted to make a few more until I use up the yarn, and sell them on Etsy.

3 comments:

Deneen said...
Tuesday, 16 December, 2008

I love it-it's fabulous, how far you have come from using one hook size, eh?

andy said...
Wednesday, 17 December, 2008

this hat is ADORABLE!!!! i've never attempted to crochet a hat..lol

i envy that hat soo much though! good job! :)

Darcie said...
Thursday, 18 December, 2008

The Tori Hat is sa-weet!!! Props to both you and Tori. I LOVE the little pom-pom! I may have to take your lead and use that in a hat/s that I'm wanting to make after Christmas. Love the colorway too!

The Tori Hat will be an Etsy success for sure!

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.