The Unexpected

I've had a lot of unexpected things happen to me in this last year.

I unexpectedly got sick with a mysterious stomach ailment last fall.

I unexpectedly got engaged last Christmas.

I unexpectedly decided to get married on 10 weeks notice instead of waiting until 2009.

I (very) unexpectedly found out I was pregnant a few days before the wedding.

Unexpectedly, Mark did not freak out.

I unexpectedly went from this little belly:

To this not so little belly:

in the span of 6 weeks!

Unexpectedly, we did not tell our families until the end of the first trimester. My parents found out just before week 13. We told his parents at 13.5 weeks. I never thought I'd be able to keep such a secret.

I unexpectedly have not had any morning sickness or bad pregnancy symptoms to date, other than a few minor complaints. The prenatals made me feel queasy for the first week or so until I started taking them with a snack. The fatigue kicked my butt for about 3-4 weeks in the first trimester but I still worked 40+ hours each week regardless. I have had a minor back ache since about 9-10 weeks, but it's tolerable. Otherwise I've felt pretty darn great. I'm always sick so I assumed that pregnancy would not agree with me.

I unexpectedly gained a net total of 14 pounds during the first 14.5 weeks of my pregnancy because:

Pregnancy unexpectedly cured my mysterious stomach ailments from last year! I can eat anything I want to eat for the first time in about 14 months. I am now, at 15 weeks pregnant, still weighing less than I did last year at this time. However, I'm at least back to a normal healthy weight. My doctors have advised me to gain 20-25 pounds above and beyond what my healthy weight was, so we figure I should gain 20-25 pounds above 110 or 115 pounds. Right now I'm at 116. My target labor weight should be between 130-140.

I unexpectedly felt the first "quickening" fetal movements at 14w4d pregnant and knew immediately what it was that I felt.

I rather unexpectedly adore full panel maternity pants and wish that they were socially acceptable to women who are not pregnant. I have never been so comfortable in my life.

But most shockingly, I am very, very unexpectedly not at all nervous about this pregnancy or about having a baby. The idea used to terrify me. Now it's just a peaceful feeling.

Here's what's going on this week:

Your Baby

Rapid growth of your baby continues at this point. The skin is very thin and you can see the blood vessels clearly underneath. The scalp hair pattern is developing while fine hair (called lanugo) covers the baby's body. Your baby is approximately 12-14 cm (3.7 to 4.1 inches) and weighs about 50 grams (1.75 to 2 ounces).

Your baby's taste buds already look like a mature adult's and doctors have learned that the amniotic fluid that surrounds it can smell strongly of curry, cumin, garlic, onion and other essences from a mother's diet. Your baby's bones continue to harden and retain calcium very rapidly. At this point in the pregnancy the placenta will begin to take on the job of hormone production to sustain the pregnancy, which was the job of your ovaries up to this point. Your baby's eyelids are now firmly shut, and will stay closed until the third trimester.

And finally, very unexpectedly, in 27 short days we'll know the gender of our baby. Oh, and I can finally start stockpiling really funky crocheted baby hats. I've been dying to make some for myself but keep refraining!

4 comments:

Darcie said...
Tuesday, 09 December, 2008

Aw...I love how you've described yourself as feeling peaceful. How wonderful.

Speaking only for myself...I just adored every moment of my first pregnancy. Even when I was fainting because he was cutting my lung capacity quite short. I love all three of my kiddos to the ends of the earth...but that firstborn....

LOVE the tummy silhouette! Good for you! Keep snapping...AND snacking!

Linda said...
Tuesday, 09 December, 2008

Awww. That's so great! Congratulations!

Deneen said...
Tuesday, 09 December, 2008

My stomach was so great during my pregnancy-I gained almost all my weight the first trimester too!

Christy said...
Saturday, 13 December, 2008

It really has been a big year for you! Congratulations and good luck!

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.