Good Things Come in Small Packages

When I was 15 my Mom and I were shopping at "Building 19." If you're from New England you know what this store is---it's your classic junk store. We would go there from time to time and check out the latest junk that they had to offer. Well this one trip I found this awesome t-shirt for 50 cents that said "Good Things Come in Small Packages." It was a tight fitting t, and it was my sort of political statement about my breast size. ;) I wore that thing out. I still have it, and it's so worn that it's practically see-through. I have to wear a tank top beneath it or else it's very obscene.


I recently joined Facebook when one friend said that another had posted some old pictures of us from high school, that I just had to see. So I joined so I could see this funny pictures. The friend who posted the pictures is someone I have known for so many years, since maybe the 10th grade or so. Our lives have always been very close physically, in that we live so close to one another. Emotionally though, that's another story. I don't know why, but our friendship has always been very volatile. Maybe it's because we're so alike in so many ways, or because we're so drastically different in so many ways. Maybe it's because we both have a tendency to be the center of attention and it causes us to clash, or at least we did when we were younger (I think we're both so much more laid back now). Or maybe, and this is my favorite theory, she and I are not good communicators while simultaenously being lazy. Maybe we both are too quick to think something about the other, and maybe we are both not the best at "clearing the air" when there's something that needs to be cleared, leading to misunderstandings. And maybe, we're both "lazy" and have always let our friendship slide, rather than trying to work for it.


Whatever the reason, she and I don't talk much anymore. In fact, our last major discussion was a huge falling out. One of many falling outs in our myriad history. I assumed last we spoke that it was literally the last we would speak.


So fast forward to last night. I was checking Facebook, which I now find to be the coolest thing ever, but that's beside the point. I noticed her status had changed and it said she had a bun in the oven. All I could do was cry. I was at work and probably looked like such an ass, but I started bawling out of happiness. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am for her. This has been a long road for her and I know that she's got to be on cloud 9 right now. When I told people of my own pregnancy when I was around 13 weeks, I was terrified to tell her. Not because I didn't think she'd be happy for me. She's not a bitch afterall. But because I knew she was struggling with fertility and I knew if I was in her shoes it would sting a lot if a friend got pregnant when I was trying so hard to. Especially considering Mark and I got pregnant after one try, which wasn't even really a "try" if you want to be technical.


So anyway, all I can think of today is that damn t-shirt. Good things really do come in small packages. As in, baby sized packages. Or in her case, a poppy-seed sized package, which is about how big her little bean is right now.


So even if we don't ever rekindle our friendship (which since the day I met her I think I have always wanted because it's always been back and forth for some stupid reason), I am hoping and praying that her pregnancy progresses well and she has herself a very healthy baby approximately 7 1/2 to 8 months from now. If you could all just think good thoughts for her and send prayers and good vibes her way, that would mean the world to me. She'll never read this blog because I don't think she even knows I have one, but I hope somehow those good vibes find her and bring a smile to her face. She's so deserving of that right now.

2 comments:

Darcie said...
Wednesday, 18 February, 2009

;-) You are going to be such a good mom, April! I can hear a mother's voice speaking from your thoughts already! In fact -- and I'm NOT even pregnant -- your words and thoughts bring tears to my eyes. (Sheesh.)

Good vibes it is! And for each one that goes to her...yours are multiplied! ;-)

Sweet days ahead, April. Hope you're very well. ;-)

Zu said...
Thursday, 19 February, 2009

Good vibes and prayers sent to the both of you. Hopefully the pregnancies will bring you two close together again. ;-)

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.