Hallelujah Meets Woah-is-Me

Remember those nasty stomach issues I had for an entire year before getting pregnant? They seemed to disappear when I was around 2 months pregnant, thankfully. I've been eating a normal diet since then with no pain. They could never diagnose it for sure. Every doc would say "Sounds like gallbladder," but then the tests would come back negative. I was very discouraged for a very long while.

Around mid-February I started having pain under my right rib cage. I thought I was just a wus and a huge baby and couldn't hack being pregnant. One more complaint I have about pregnancy. I assumed it was normal organ squishing that happens and blamed my short torso for the discomfort, and felt silly for being so delicate.

Well, I mentioned it a week ago at my last prenantal appt. and they ordered an upper abdominal ultrasound at the hospital just to check to make sure my liver was ok. They just called with my results.

And holy friggen crap, I have gallbladder polyps!!!

I guess they can be hard to detect, and I guess the people who have symtoms from their polyps tend to have the same symptoms as people with gallstones and gallbladder disease, just with no stones or evidence of disease. Could this explain my classic gallbladder symptoms pre-pregnancy, and the constant negative test results?

So off I go to the GI again. I am hoping she just throws her hands up in the air and finally says yes, let's take that gallbladder out because obviously it's a source of pain and discomfort for me.

The woah-is-me part? I obviously won't be having surgery anytime soon. I'm certain they wouldn't do it during pregnancy simply for pain, my liver enzymes would have to be affected, or I'd have to be losing weight, or something more drastic than that.

At least I just got myself an accidental diagnosis.

Now, if only it didn't feel like some stabbed me in the ribcage with a hot knife. :-/

1 comments:

Zu said...
Tuesday, 10 March, 2009

My goodness it took a long time to figure out what the problem was! Well, better late than never I suppose. I hope it doesn't get any worse while you're pregnant and unable to do much about it. *hugs*

Back to Home Back to Top ..a.d...n.a.u.s.e.u.m... Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.